Friday, May 11, 2012

When Grace Is Not Your First Thought

Have you ever had someone in your life that you wish… wasn’t? You know, the ones that test your Christianity? I’m very ashamed to admit it, but I have a few.
When I know a situation is on the horizon when I will be in their company, it gives me time to pray. Ask God to help me adjust my attitude and be as gracious as I can toward them. And it actually helps a lot.
But it seems like lately, I’ve had a few unexpected interactions that didn’t give much warning. We recently planned to meet with someone to talk about a topic of mutual interest. I just found out someone else is coming as well.
Ugh. I sour. My mood darkens. I wasn’t prepared for this.
Of course, it’s not just this person. There are others with different traits that offer various degrees of annoyance to me.
But still…this one causes me a degree of discomfort creeping near the top of my list. I really don’t care for them. It’s not that this person is a horribly bad person.  They just…rub me the wrong way. They’re materialistic. And they tend to take over a conversation and talk about themself. All puffed up and flaunting what they own, or what fun thing they’re doing, or where they’re going on their next vacation. It makes me feel…unimportant? Jealous? Bitter? Ugly words.
I stew and concoct ways to get out of the situation.  Because that’s what I always do. Try to avoid the conflict. And with some people, avoiding conflict may be for the best. But lately, I’ve felt God has been calling me to a higher standard with this particular person.
No one is making me feel this way. Own it. Put aside the jealousy. Stop thinking about myself and how I feel. Why do I compare myself with them?
God loves you and has plans for your life. Focus on His will for you and stop worrying about everyone else.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” Luke 6:41-42 (NIV)

Might I be a trial in someone else’s life? Tables turned cause much discomfort.
Time to stop focusing on their speck. How can I get rid of this awful plank? Everyone can see it but me. And what does it look like?
Judgmental… selfish... distant… petty… unsympathetic… insecure… skeptical… opinionated… negative…impatient… ?
Lord, thank you for the grace to show me my plank, and the mercy of your forgiveness in spite of all my faults. Help me pour Your grace and mercy over others.
Grace and Mercy abounds!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...