Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Mother's Inheritance

Sunday morning service. We stand to sing:
“I hear the Savior say
Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness, watch and pray
Find in Me thine all in all"
It’s Mother’s Day. Every year I end up thinking more about all the things I did wrong as a mother and stepmother, rather on the things I did right. As a stepmother, I know I am a “step” away as a mother. I don’t expect for my stepchildren to feel for me the same as they do the mother who bore them. But I hope they know I love them. I hope all of my children know how much I love and care for them.

“… Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
…”

I’m not very good at showing a lot of feeling. To anyone. It’s not that I don’t have feelings. I’m just not very emotional or touchy feely.  I hope they know. Oh Lord, please wash any doubts away from their hearts and minds.
“…Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow”
And while You’re at it Lord, could you fix all the mistakes I made?
 “…Oh praise the One who paid my debt,
And raised this life up from the dead.”
I hear a catch in my voice and can’t sing for the lump in my throat. Tears start flowing down my cheek and drip off my chin.
 “…Oh praise the One who paid my debt,
And raised this life up from the dead.”
Our pastor speaks of women of faith in the book of Numbers.
What do you see in the future that makes life worth living today?
Neither of my parents grew up in a Christian home. We had gone to a local church a few times when I was quite young. When I was in middle school, they became friends with a family that ended up introducing us to church. That was the turning point that changed the direction of our family’s life. They gave their hearts and lives to God. That decision as well as future decisions based on this new faith, provided opportunity for me to know Christ and choose His eternal inheritance.
The five sisters in Numbers asked for the inheritance of their father who died, leaving no sons. The passing down of inheritance was very important in that day and culture.
What inheritance can I pass down? Do I have anything to offer? What did my parents pass down to me? Oh Yes, I have the most important thing I can offer.
Live a life of faith that you can pass on to your children. It is worth far more than any posession.
Your purpose is greater than the role you have right now. God’s future inheritance gives hope for you and your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...