Friday, August 31, 2012

Transitions

Summer is winding down. Temperatures are already beginning to change. A few leaves have already started to fall from some of the trees.

The last few weeks have been a welcome period of rest. A time to decompress. A time to reflect on those things which God has given me and express my thankfulness.

That I am a child of God
The comfort of His Word
His sovereignty in my life and the lives of each member of my family
His peace that covers me when I am feeling persecuted
His love that fills me when I am feeling unlovable
Family
Friends
Rest
Warm days
Green grass, flowers, and freshly picked blueberries from the yard
The beauty of His creation

It has been a time to prepare ourselves for what is coming. Gearing up for fall. Leaves are turning colors, transitioning. School will begin soon. Some of our children are preparing for school while others are preparing to leave the nest. And a couple more leaves drop from the tree. Another is moving a little further away. Life changing decisions are imminent. Assisting those who are moving on while attending to those staying behind. So many things that seem to be of urgent importance. Conflicting schedules and priorities. Choices to be made. Seeking to balance it all. Is it even possible? Just thinking about it drains me of energy. The leaves dry and crackle and that’s how I feel. How do we manage all these transitions without wearing ourselves out - all dried up and crackled?

Our home will be shrinking in numbers. Can a house half-full feel empty? Barricading feelings of loss that are already starting to creep in. Loss of the status quo. Gone is the steady, stable and predictable. Now are the unknowns. Feeling left out and left behind and worries seep in. What will the future hold? Will they be safe? What if something happens? And where do we go from here?

The leaves turn color in preparation for what is to come. It is the ending of one season and preparation for the next. Fall begets winter and winter the spring. And the spring brings buds and blossoms and new leaves - new beginnings. A new season in life.


So the leaves that turn must drop and move on to make room for the new that is to come.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest…


Another leaf falls from the tree. And before you know it, they will all be gone.


But there is hope for the future…

  
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. “ Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. Psalm 143:8 (NIV)

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 (NIV)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6 (NIV)

Grace and Mercy to you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...