Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Return from a Respite

Our family has returned home after spending a week away in rest and relaxation. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to unplug. No tv, radio, or internet. We had our cell phones but (most) didn’t use them much. It really made me see how much time these modern-day conveniences, which are supposed to save us time, actually take up. And to really get away from routine. It was restful, relaxing, refreshing, and rejuvenating. Giving thanks for:


Getting up when it is light. Eating breakfast together.
Putting our feet in the river (or going all the way in!).
Walking the dog.
Going on bike rides.
Reading the Bible.
Peach shakes.
Spending time with family and close friends.
Taking naps when you feel like it.
Warm weather and sunshine!
Taking the kids to the water slide park.
Slowing down.
Playing Farkle in the pop-up tent.
Exploring a new city.
Reading Leviticus.
Eating snacks for dinner.
Sitting in camp chairs and talking with each other.
Going to sleep when it’s dark.



“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28 (NIV)


“My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14 (NIV)


“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26 (NIV)


“Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.” Psalm 61:1-4 (NIV) 

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV1984) 


~ Rest in His Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...