Friday, June 15, 2012

Giving Back the Reins

Lord, please forgive me. I have allowed the busyness in my life to crowd out time for you. Is it any wonder I feel a bit disconnected and floundering without direction? So many things going on and did I ask you to help me set priorities? Shamefullyno. I’ve been holding the reins again. Please….would you take them back? There are so many responsibilities to be attended to but only so many hours in the day, and a limited amount of energy in my body.
As I look down at the invisible reins, and slowly loosen the tight grip which has cramped my hand – my spirit – I envision the marks left behind. Deep impressions of the burdens I was holding onto so tightly carved into my soul. Have you noticed when you hold on to something tightly for a long time, it hurts to open your hand?  It’s a painful realization that I have been holding on too tightly and too long.  Holding the reins takes a toll on one’s body, mind and spirit. I am weary and drained. I have lost focus on the things that matter.
I raise my hands a little. Fingers curled open – to let go. To offer it back to the One who can handle it. For Him to take control again. Why would I want it? It requires unlimited physical and mental strength I do not possess. Wisdom beyond what I have.  Knowledge of things unseen by me. He has all these things and more.
You mercifully forgive. It is by grace, a gift, that You gently lift the reins from my hands. Relief. Merciful relief. And I can rest in the safekeeping of Your will.
How much simpler it is to simply come to You each day with thanksgiving and present my needs to You. You know the tasks. You know the circumstances. You know the seen and unseen. May You prioritize and direct my day. Each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet isn't His grace the most beautiful thing of all? And that He is there every time we come crawling back, humbly handing over what we took - and picking up the pieces of what we tried to manage without Him. Oh that I would wake every day with a prayer of thankfulness for His faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...